Thursday, February 24, 2011

Poetry in Prose: Memory Wall


I am just about finished with Memory Wall by Anthony Doerr. It's his second collection of stories and I am mentioning it here on my poetry blog, and highly recommending it, because it reads like a book of poetry. 

When I think of poetry, I think of pieces where every word is chosen deliberately, with great precision. Every word matters in a poem. Changing just one of them--taking one away or adding one more--changes the entire thing. The words of a poem fit together perfectly and they work together to make you think and feel things you didn't know you could.

This is exactly the case in Memory Wall. These stories are exquisite in every way. Doerr needs to win every award possible for this collection. It's not very often that I read fiction and find it so moving, so beautifully created that it reminds me of poetry. Really good poetry. But that, my friends, is the case here.

Please check this book out and you'll see what I mean. I also recommend The Shell Collector, Doerr's first collection of stories, which I'll be re-reading very soon. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment