Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Poetry Confession Rebuttal

So this blog hasn't generated a tremendous amount of readership, but it's still in its infancy. Given time, I just know it will hit the big time, generating hundreds of hits a day and drawing oodles of comments on my thought-provoking, insightful, and poignant posts. Wait, what was I talking about? Oh, yeah...

Last week, I made a huge poetry confession regarding poetry of the Romantic period. Via email, I received the following comment from my friend Leah, a teacher, poetry whiz (she knows a million times more about poetry than me), Ivy Leaguer (my envy knows no end), and fellow blogger:

OK, I'm with you on Wordsworth and Coleridge.  I'm partially with you on Percy Bysshe Shelley (because he's a loser who died in his boat during a lightning storm that he knew was coming but that he wanted to see from the water to witness its beauty) and partially with you on Burns and partially with you on Byron.  I'm not with you on Keats who has several poems I love.
Ok, if I never knew that about Shelley. And if I had to choose one of the Romantics to read, it would probably be Keats, but mainly because of that movie about him that came out last year that I never got a chance to see and can't remember the name of. Where was I? Oh, yeah...

Leah went on to share a Shelley poem that's pretty darn good, I have to admit...

Love's Philosophy

The fountains mingle with the river,
And the rivers with the ocean;
The winds of heaven mix forever,
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle;--
Why not I with thine?


Read the rest here and find out that Leah knows how to pick a poem, even if it is by an electrocuted Romantic.

And be sure to comment on this or any other post in which I make ridiculous statements that you disagree with.

1 comment:

  1. YES!!! I'm honored to be mentioned in the blog. And thanks for hyperlinking my own blog--very exciting.

    ReplyDelete