Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Veritas Sequitur

Poetry has carved out a special place in my life. In the last year I've gone from not caring much for it at all (to be generous) to incorporating it into my daily teaching and reading. I've even written a little.

I'd like to use this blog to share both my poetry assignments and the poems of my students. I'd also like to share my favorite poems and new poems that I discover along the way. And finally, I'd like to connect with others within the poetry blogosphere.

Speaking of favorite poems, now seems like a good time to share the one that inspired the title of this blog. If you knew it without being told, you're in the right place. If you didn't and you enjoy it, you're in the right place, too.

Psalm

BY GEORGE OPPEN

Veritas sequitur ...

In the small beauty of the forest
The wild deer bedding down—
That they are there!

                              Their eyes
Effortless, the soft lips
Nuzzle and the alien small teeth
Tear at the grass

                              The roots of it
Dangle from their mouths
Scattering earth in the strange woods.
They who are there.

Read the rest here.

There are so many things I love about this poem. What about you?

Happy reading. I look forward to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment