Friday, July 23, 2010

Poetry Friday: E.E. Cummings

As promised in my last post, I want to share an E.E. Cummings poem. Here's one that I just discovered:

[as freedom is a breakfast food]

as freedom is a breakfast food
or truth can live with right or wrong
or molehills are from mountains made
--long enough and just so long
will being pay the rent of seem
and genius please the talentgang
and water most encourage flame

as hatracks into peachtrees grow
or hopes dance best on bald men's hair
and every finger is a toe
and any courage is a fear
--and long enough is just so long
will the impure think all things pure
and hornets wail by children stung

Please read the entire poem here.


Like so many of his poems, this one appeals to me because it doesn't make sense at first. Cummings is turning things upside-down with contradictions and off-the-wall comparisons. Also, the poem's rhythm is irresistible in a way and its sing-songy and nursery rhyme feel draws you in in a way that this strange arrangement of words seems just right. I just really like this poem and I can't put my finger on why. I think I'll return to it throughout the weekend to continue seeing what I can make of it.

Poetry Friday is being hosted at Language, Literacy and Love today. Be sure to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment