Friday, May 10, 2013

Poetry Friday: The Kick of Creation

I need to get back to blogging here. My lay-off needs to end. I think I can do it. I'll start with today.

A friend shared this quote with me as we caught up over a beer recently. It's by Kurt Vonnegut:


Nobody will stop you from creating. Do it tonight. Do it tomorrow. That is the way to make your soul grow - whether there is a market for it or not! The kick of creation is the act of creating, not anything that happens afterward. I would tell all of you watching this screen: Before you go to bed, write a four line poem. Make it as good as you can. Don't show it to anybody. Put it where nobody will find it. And you will discover that you have your reward.
I think I'll start doing that. And start blogging here more. I begin with sharing an amazing poem that came to my inbox this morning. "Time" by Chris Martin:

Time
by Chris Martin

All that happens happens

in the hollow 

mouth

open mid-vow

knowing 

only song will do

what an empty cave needs

done, drone

that seeds to fill

one space and then that

space's space, what 

are we made 

of if 

not chants.

Sun slumping up

the stucco, cat chewing

her tail clean, nimbi

darkening the fallen

leaves leatherlike, I make

voice, voice, voice, voices

like a fist

on thinking's door

a fistula 

wrapping abstraction

and binding it to what, morning

sickness, the lathed light

now flying through branches

made sinister

by season, a crook

in the amygdala's grey

ministry and all 

I see is a circling murder

above the antenna

that replaced the weathervane.

Read the rest of the poem here. And check out the Poetry Friday roundup at Anastasia's poetry blog.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you are blogging again! Thanks for participating in Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that quote. Am saving it to remind myself, "The kick of creation is the act of creating, not anything that happens afterward."

    I know this. I have practiced this. Every time I write a poem I'm even vaguely pleased with, I think to myself, If I hadn't written this poem, these words and thoughts would have never happened, or would have been lost forever."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quote. I'm working on a project right now that I keep wondering if it has any chance of publication anywhere. And I keep telling myself, it doesn't matter. I'm really loving it, so I just keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curing floor grinder price
    Stone terrazzo floor grinding is refers to the concrete/epoxy floor grinding processing, effective grinding terrazzo, concrete surface layer and layer of epoxy mortar and the old ground, such as epoxy floor surface clean, bright beautiful, more smooth, thus improve the floor beautiful degree, common ground floor grinding machine, grinding tool have cast high machine and related equipment.
    Bottom coat: put the main agent and hardener of the material in proportion, stir it fully with a blender, and then apply the material evenly with a brush, a rolling brush or a spray gun machine to form a primer, with an interval of more than 8 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. blood pressure watch professional in R&D wearable blood pressure monitor, in the innovative form of a wrist watch, proactively monitors your heart health by turning real-time heart data into heart.
    mason jar lids canning lids supplier. offer canning Lids in different style and size
    neck hammock We aim to create a healthy lifestyle that assists every individual to de-stress, relax. unwind and streamline a pain-free life and at the same time feel and look amazing.
    sex machine Choose Sex Machine to Get Orgasm and Enjoy Life
    moving dildo Enjoy sexual life for both men and women
    neon light for roomNeon Signs Light Is One-of-a-Kind Activities Designed and Hosted by Expert Locals. All Experiences are Vetted for Quality.
    dog training collarsPets Supplier mall offers the ultimate pet shop experience. We have all the pet supplies, pet food, toys and accessories you and your pet needs at great prices. Find all the best pets suppliers coupons, promotion.
    silk duragDiscover the latest and most interesting gadgets at a bargain price
    Automobile atmosphere lampHere you will find the latest and most fashionable car accessories

    ReplyDelete