Friday, October 21, 2011

Poetry Friday: Poetry Mix Tape for Autumn 2

It has been quite some time since I put together a Poetry Mix Tape. Since autumn is in full swing here in Michigan, I thought it would make for the perfect topic. I mixed some poems on autumn for you last year, but I think I like these even more. I hope you like them, too:

Theme in Yellow by Carl Sandburg
Aftermath by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
October by Bobbi Katz
Fall, Leaves, Fall by Emily Bronte
After Apple Picking by Robert Frost
Late Autumn Wasp by James Hoch

And perhaps my new favorite poem about Autumn by Juhan Liiv...

"Leaves Fell"


A gust roused the waves,
leaves blew into the water,
the waves were ash-gray,
the sky tin-gray,
ash-gray the autumn.


It was good for my heart,
there my feelings were ash-gray,
the sky tin-gray,
ash-gray the autumn.

You can read the rest of the poem here. The ending is good. Really good. And while the mood of the poem is kind of down, I like it for the complexity that's hidden there. The repetition and the imagery. I like it a lot.

If you like it, too, let me know. And if you like poetry, you'll love Poetry Friday, which today is being hosted at Jama's Alphabet Soup. Jama's also sharing some autumn poetry today (and one delicious-looking photo of a doughnut). So be sure to check it out!

8 comments:

  1. Nice! First time I heard of a Poetry Mix Tape - how absolutely inspired. I did feel sad though as I read through the poem - the ash-grays do evoke a somber mood. :)

    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feast of autumn poems. Ash gray is not the first color that comes to mind when we think of Autumn, and yet, it so accurately reflects the emotions of this poignant season. Oh, the melancholy. We cannot have beauty without the sorrow and regret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than a big plastic pumpkin bowl of candy with a sign to "help yourself." Thanks for the mix, and for sharing the poem in shades of gray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the ending of "Leaves Fall." And thank you for the mix! Re-reading masters like Longfellow and Frost is uplifting. I love Sanburg's and Katz's October poems, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myra...sometimes a somber mood is what autumn's all about. There may be no better time of year to be somber than autumn, in my opinion. Thanks so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jama...glad you liked the "feast!" Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robyn...I only took one piece from that "help yourself" bowl, I swear! Thank you so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce...it's strange to me when you come across poems by the masters that you haven't read before. That was the case with me with both the Frost and Longfellow. Maybe strange isn't the word. Sublime, maybe?

    Thanks so much for the comment.

    ReplyDelete