Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Poetry in Music: Regina Spektor

What is it that makes one song more poetic than another? It's kind of hard to pin that one down without saying "I know it when I hear it." But that's what happened this morning when I heard Regina Spektor's "Blue Lips" on the way to work:




Maybe it's the narrative quality of the song. Maybe it's the repeated use of color. Maybe it's the imagery. Maybe I love piano players. Maybe I heard it on the right day. Either way, it's poetic. I really like a lot of Spektor's music, although not all of them strike me as poetic as this one.. I know she's been around for awhile, but I didn't really discover until she sang with Ben Folds on "You Don't Know Me."


If you like "Blue Lips," I highly recommend "Two Birds," "Samson," "Us," "Genius Next Door," and "Folding Chair." 


Enjoy and stay tuned this week for numbers 7 and 6 in our Women's History Month Poetry Countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment